Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I'm Not Pregnant Anymore!!!!!!

But more importantly, we welcomed our precious son, Malakai Bradford, into our arms at a hefty 8 lbs 2 oz and 22 inches long. According to my obstetrician, approximately 5% of babies are born on their due date. Malakai decided to join this elite group and, as The Farmer likes to point out, he came at high noon--You can't get it any closer than that. Would mid-day on your due date be considered your "due minute?"


BEFORE

Here is a picture of the baby and me walking into the hospital.


I don't want to post the profile shot.

Okay, fine. I will.


The fetus seemed to me to be growing rapidly during the last two weeks, but I was still shocked at my size when I saw this picture.

AFTER

Three hours later, here we are:



Sorry if this is too much information, but I want to document the slightly funny labor story. Don't feel obligated to read on. The evening before the birth I felt like I was going into labor and started having strong contractions every 3-4 minutes. Then they kind of fizzled out for a while and just came irregularly through the night. I was able to sleep here and there. When Greg's alarm went off at 6:00, he asked if he should go to work or not and I told him that since I'd been asleep for the past 1-2 hours, he was probably fine to go. I called him back an hour or two later and said he didn't need to rush home, but I thought things were still progressing. He got home around 9:00; we decided to call the doctor's office and were told to go to labor and delivery. At that point, I didn't really think I was in full blown active labor yet, but was hoping at least something had happened and they wouldn't send me home. Turns out my cervix had dilated to 8 cm. So apparently, it was the real thing. Having been induced with Pitocin for the first three babies, I had a much different (i.e. slower and less intense) experience this time around. Greg was glad his nightmares of me delivering at home didn't come to pass.


I forgot how much I adore my newborns. I'm not quite so fond of them when they're still inside me.

MONKEY D

Each of our boys has been given a special nickname by their father: Monkey A, Monkey B, Monkey C, and now Monkey D.



He did look quite monkey-like right when he was born, but, as you can see, he is quite cute on day of life #2.


Awake for a minute.


A decent amount of dark hair.


We're not sure who he looks like. He changes quickly and different people have said he looks like Greg, Eli, Seth, and Micah. One thing we do know is that he doesn't look like me.

FOUR PEAS IN A POD


Monkeys A and B are thrilled. Monkey C isn't quite so sure yet.


A proud mama with her four peas.



I like my boys.


A WORD ABOUT GRANDMAS AND HUSBANDS


I feel sorry for women who don't have an amazing mother to come stay with them for two weeks at baby time and basically handle all aspects of the family members' lives with ease. I am so lucky.


The best husband and father in the world. And becoming a decent farmer.

THE WHOLE FAMILY


We feel extremely blessed to have four healthy, beautiful children and that our baby made it into the world safe and sound.

7 comments:

Katie said...

You look amazing!! I'm trying to avoid the "it's not fair" rant, but there...I just said it! He's such a beautiful boy and we can't wait to meet him and see you all. We love you!!!!

Amy said...

He's adorable! You guys all look so happy! What a week - a new baby and school starting, your boys are troopers!

~ ThE RiChiNs KrEw ~ said...

Amazing! You go girl! By the way, you look amazing.... so not fair!

Brady and Melody said...

I love the front and side views, that is what is amazing. We are excited for more boys. I like the way you spelled his name. He is definitely a keeper. Good thing too, if you tried to throw him out it looks like he is big enough to beat you up.

bryceandjamie said...

You look great! And, what an adorable baby! We can't wait to meet him. I love all that hair. What a neat necklace too!

Notes from the Gap said...

Beautiful baby and fine looking boys. The two of you do good work. I noticed the necklace, too. Very nice. Looking forward to seeing you and bonding with baby Kai.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! He is a doll! And, yes, you look amazing. Walking into the hospital, you look like you just have a basketball stuffed under your shirt--like you're just pretending to be pregnant:) You deserve it, friend! So happy you've had your mom there to help, too. Can't wait to see you and your family and to meet your newest member! lots of love.