Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bye-Bye Night-Night



The "night-night" has been a part of our family for the past four years, since Micah was about nine months old. He wasn't much for sucking on a pacifier, but he sure liked a mouth full of fleecy goodness (the surged edges to be precise) to lull himself to sleep.



"Night-night" (pronounced "nie-nie" initially) was his first word. And besides bringing suck-induced sleep, the night-night provided comfort during times of separation, injury, or fear.



It is now half its original size and has lost most of it's fleecy-ness, but no other fleece blanket would do. Must be something about its distinctive smell. (I used to wash it in its very own load to prevent said smell from rubbing off on our clothes.)

(Not sure what happened to Seth's eyes here.)

Last year, I declared a new rule that the night-night had to stay on Micah's bed. He obeyed but would occasionally go up to his room for a quick suck. Recently, I've been encouraging Micah to just snuggle it and not suck on it at night. He always replied, "I won't do it."



But one night about a week or two ago, he declared, "I'm not going to suck on my night-night tonight." And he tossed it under his bed. He's tossed it under his bed ever since.



And at the same time he's suddenly into letters and writing words and counting and even started reading a little.

I think Mommy's realized she was a little attached to night-night too.

1 comment:

bryceandjamie said...

I can't believe how much he's growing! Such an adorable kiddo! Good for him for giving up the Night-Night. Hugh loves sucking on his fleecy blanket too! Maybe down the road I'll have to convince him to just snuggle with it. :)